Getting comfortable in your own backyard is easy with the right furniture, and nothing is cozier than having your own outdoor couch. Fortunately, this can be achieved even on the lowest budget by building your own DIY pallet couch. In a few simple steps, you can expand your outdoor seating, and by adding DIY outdoor cushions, you’ll have a cozy outdoor space in no time!
Supplies You’ll Need for Your DIY Outdoor Pallet Couch
In order to put together your DIY pallet couch, you’ll need the following supplies:
- 2 long (29” x 87”) pallets
- 6 short (29” x 29”) pallets
- 1 2” x 4” piece of wood
- Paint or stain
- Rolling casters
Tools You Will Need to Make Your DIY Pallet Sofa
- Wood screws (2” & 3”)
- Circular saw
- Measuring tape
- Pry bar
Step-by-Step Guide to Make a DIY Outdoor Pallet Couch
Once you have the supplies needed to build your DIY pallet couch, you’re ready to put it together!
Step 1: Thoroughly wash your pallets and let them dry. This can be done simply with hose.
Step 2: Assemble
Back of the Couch
1: Take three of the short pallets to serve as the back of your DIY pallet couch. Remove the two boards on each side of the bottom of the pallets.
2: Cut the center 2×4’s of the pallets, so the remaining pallets will fit underneath. To know the exact measurement to cut, measure the height of the pallet.
3: (Optional) Attach boards in between the gaps for a back rest.
Base and Seat of the Couch
- Remove the boards on one of the long pallets.
2. Stack the long pallets, with the boardless pallet on the bottom, and screw them together.
Attaching the Backrest to the Base
- Cut 4 x 8” blocks from the 2×4 boards and attach to the base.
- Screw 8” 2x4s in the open space between the pallets, two on one side and two on the other. This will give an anchor to attach the back of your DIY pallet couch to.
Option 1: Straight Back
- Attach backrest by placing straight over the base and screwing in place
Option 2: Angled Back
- Cut 6 x 18” blocks from 2×4
- Cut 45 degree angle, 5” up from bottom of 2×4
3. Attach to backrest
4. Attach backrest to base
- To build the arm rest, you’ll need to cut the remaining 2×4. You’ll also be using the leftover boards that you previously removed from the pallets. The dimensions you’ll need to cut are two 24” boards from the 2×4, and five 18” boards from the remaining pieces of wood from the pallets
- Then, you will attach one of the 2×4’s against the backrest and screw it in place. Attach the remaining 2×4 at the edge of the couch.
- Next, attach one of the 1×4’s as indicated in the diagram.
Step #3: Place Your New Cushions & Enjoy Your DIY Pallet Couch!
Now for the fun part! While your DIY pallet couch is sturdy enough to sit on as is, you’ll still need outdoor cushions to make it comfy. This is where your DIY outdoor cushions come in! If you’d like to make your own cushions, check out our last blog post How to Make a DIY Bay Window Seat Cushion. Be sure to cover your cushions in GeoBella Outdoor Fabric, so that you can customize your DIY pallet couch and know that it will be ready to weather all climates.